How much do you know about bats? Bats are mysterious pests, but they don't have to be a mystery to you. We've pulled together some important bat facts to help you identify bat problems, evaluate the potential for harm, and get rid of those creatures of the night.
If you have a bat problem, put up the bat signal – or just navigate to our contact page and drop us a line. CP Bat Mitigation provides wildlife pest control in Sioux Falls. We can help you find an appropriate and humane solution to your bat problem. With that said, let's get into our list of topics for today.
Identifying Bats On Your Sioux Falls Property
It is generally not difficult to tell that you have bats on your Sioux Falls property. When you see something flutter overhead at dusk, it is likely a bat. Birds are diurnal animals, while bats are nocturnal. As it gets darker, the chances that you're seeing birds overhead will diminish.
Detecting a bat infestation inside your home is often harder than identifying bat activity outside. Bats can get into the wall voids of your attic. If you only rarely go up into your attic, you may not hear bats inside your home, and you may not realize you need bat pest control. But, when bats invade the walls of a living room or bedroom, you'll know it. They scratch and bump around inside walls.
If you have bats, the next step is to contact a wildlife control expert like CP Bat Mitigation for safe and humane bat control solutions.
The Problems That Bats Can Bring To Your Home
The problems typically begin when bats invade a home, though there are rare reports of bats attacking people outdoors. These are linked to rabies infections, as a rabies-infected bat can turn aggressive. However, we can't stress enough how rare this is. The primary issues with bats are related to infestations. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer for how to control bats in the house. Every infestation is a little different, and a pest management professional will consider many factors while determining a control strategy.
We recommend professional bat control in Sioux Falls. Bats don't mean to pester us, but when they come indoors, they can present some problems, including:
- Bats cause damage and make a mess when they get into attics. At best, it is a pain to deal with the mess.
- Bat guano (droppings) presents a medical concern as it cultivates the creation of Histoplasma capsulatum. Breathing these fungal spores can lead to Histoplasmosis, a potentially life-threatening respiratory illness.
- Bats can bring bugs into your home, such as ticks and fleas. They also carry bat bugs, a cousin of the bed bug.
- Bats are a rabies concern, though the risk is greatly limited if you don't attempt to capture or handle bats.
When you discover bats in your home, it is best to contact CP Bat Mitigation for assistance with wildlife control in Sioux Falls. We use smart solutions to deal with bats gently.
Tips For Keeping Bats And Other Wildlife Out Of Your Home
If you don't have a bat infestation yet, there are several steps you can take to avoid one. This entails identifying and sealing potential entry points for bats.
To seal entry points, the tools you'll need are a caulking gun, a few cans of expanding foam, and some hardware cloth.
- Caulking is what you'll apply around window and door frames. You can select colors that match the materials of your home and make nice-looking patches.
- Expanding foam is great for filling in voids behind joists or for sealing the gaps around pipes and wire conduits. If you have a large hole to fill, use this product.
- Hardware cloth is the product you'll use to seal your gable vents and prevent bats from squeezing through louvers and gaining access to your attic or wall voids. Hardware cloth can also guard large holes in your exterior that you don't have the time or ability to seal.
- You can replace building materials to seal off many other potential entry points, such as weatherstripping around a door that goes into a barn, shed, or garage. Patch and repair screens as well.
These exclusions don't just keep bats out of your house; they keep a long list of other pests out as well.
Contact The Experts For Professional Bat Control
If bats have gotten into your Sioux Falls home, keep CP Bat Mitigation in mind. We always use humane solutions, and we consider bats beneficial animals. There is no need to harm them.
Do you live in Sioux Falls? Do you have questions, or would you like to request service? Give us a call or connect with us through our contact page. Our service team looks forward to providing you with impeccable service and a successful resolution to your bat control problem.